Who can take the title "biggest winner from the Web 2.0 era"?
- Skype: $500 million in revenue, profitable and growing and an iPhone app.
- Google: not really Web 2.0, though; born in 1999.
- YouTube: still losing money, no clear monetization model, and video-serving costs are substantial. It is hard to imagine YouTube as an independent company
- Facebook: how long can the great hope remain the great hope? At some point, it has to demonstrate a sustainable revenue model and some profit. It still doesn't have a native revenue model that makes sense to both users and advertisers.
- Twitter: see above.
- Salesforce.com: not really Web 2.0 either; born in 1999. More revenue than Skype today, but smaller addressable market.