Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Next 5,000 Days?

The last 5,000 days have brought together through computers, cell phones, servers, linking of pages, satellite images and Web 2.0.

So what does the next 5,000 days bring us?
Kevin Kelly shares the coming of the One Machine.



Today we see social networks connecting us more than ever. With Facebook, reaching more than 100 million users together and the notion of sharing data from these millions of users is overwhelming. Taking that a step further, the thought of having the data of millions of users being passed from thousands of 'Facebook' like communities with the data being pushed or 'linked' from one community to the next is unfathomable. If I create a profile in WeAreTeachers and then join a community on MySpace, I don't pass my data across communities; I have to create accounts in both, hence the notecard in my wallet with all my usernames and passwords. Currently, if I am in Ning, I am able to join other communities without having to create a new username and password, the data is simply linked from one community to the next WITHIN the Ning social network. However, the idea of doing that example across the numerous social sites just once is beyond me although it doesn't seem out of reach. This one machine, or Web 3.0, will bring all 'things' closer together.

No comments: